Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Micro Art Studio Skull Armour Mold Review

I recently saw a mold for "Skull Armour" at my LFGS and decided to pick it up. I had no idea what I was going to use it for, but I'm always willing to try out new products in hopes that I'll find something amazing which will make my hobby life a bit easier.

Here is the mould I am referring to.

All categories will be on a 1 to 10 scale with 10 being the best and 1 being, well, the worst.
Value: 6
Mold Design: 7
Ease of Use: 10
Applications: 4
Overall: 6 3/4

Better descriptions after the break.
Value: 6
At roughly 26 dollars before tax, this mold is somewhat expensive. For the same price, I could sculpt the skull itself and use InstantMold to copy it. However, it is a great time saving device which is why I rated it above a five and similar molds I have seen sell for between thirty and forty dollars.

Mold Design: 7
Basically, its a pretty interesting skull which you can use on leg plates or shoulder pads. If you really wanted to, you could even use the design for pre-heresy terminator shoulder pads. The mold allows for two legs and two shoulders to be done at a time so it will take a bit to give it all to a squad of marines due to the needed cure time of whatever sculpting putty you are using.

Ease of Use: 10
This mold is amazingly simple. Due to it being silicone, I did not need to use a release agent as green stuff does not adhere to it. Basically I just mixed up a blob of putty and slapped some into each of the four molds. I then put a thick piece of greenstuff behind it, this time with a bit of release agent, to guarantee a flat surface that I will most likely not need to sand. After the greenstuff dries, you just need to cut around the edges of the armor and gently bend it to fit around whatever you are sticking it on.

Applications: 4
I can only think of this being used for Space Marines; more likely Chaos Space Marines. No Chapter has this heraldry but it would probably work for a homebrew chapter/legion or on some of those Angry and Black Blood Angels I don't see anyone ever taking. I'm sure someone will find another use for this mold, but presently these are the only things which come to mind.


All in all, I would recommend this to someone playing Space Marines or Chaos Space Marines who wants some of their troops to look a bit special. Everyone else will probably not have a use for this due to the size of the pieces themselves and the unlikelihood of ever using it.

Words for the chimps:

Assiduous [as·sid·u·ous] adj.  1. Constant in application or attention; diligent: "An assiduous worker who strove for perfection."  2. Unceasing; persistent: "Assiduous cancer research."
Capricious [ca·pri·cious] adj.  Characterized by or subject to whim; impulsive and unpredictable. "He's such a capricious boss I never know how he'll react."


No comments:

Post a Comment