Wednesday, August 31, 2011

A guide to painting an Emperor's Champion.

Some people have asked how I've been painting my Champ so I thought I'd write up a quick rundown on how it was done.

Prepping the miniature:
As this Emperor's Champion is metal, I first removed all mold lines with a fine file while making sure not to damage any of the detail on the shoulder pads and helmet. After this was finished, I then sanded the entire miniature till it was slightly reflective with a high grit wet/dry sandpaper which is intended for use on jewelry. It is possible to use other sandpapers, just make sure that the grit is incredibly fine. An emery stick would also work for this.

The miniature was then primed black as its, well, a Black Templar. Under most circumstances, the miniature would have been primed grey, followed by a black spray from beneath the model and a white spray from the top. I wouldn't recommend exceeding forty-five degrees for either the black or white sprays. If you are having trouble picturing what I am talking about, I recommend reading this guide made by the crazy apes over at Massive Voodoo.

More after the break as normal:




Painting the sword:
I started painting the sword by masking off half along the riser of the blade with simple painter's tape. I then airbrushed a medium grey from the point of the sword towards the center of the blade. After the grey dried, I airbrushed white heavily, again from the point, to about a third of the way down towards the hilt. This process was then reversed as you can see in the picture.

The Black Armour:
On this model I wanted to try out something new so I opted to use oil paints. I put a small dab of white paint at any of the high points of the miniature and then, using an old brush, gently drug the paint down and blended it into the black primer. This was then reversed from the bottom using black paint.

Cloth:
The cloth was first basecoated with a light brown and allowed to dry. I then used white and brown oils to blend up to the white.

After the oils dried, the model was sealed with a gloss varnish. Oil paints work fine over acrylics but for some reason I've had issues with acrylics over oils so this seal necessary if you wish to do any weathering or finer highlights.

I'm still working on the gold as it looks far too close to the cloth so I'll save a walk-through on that for later.

As an aside, I'm bringing back the Words of the Day. Words of the Day is brought to you by the Word Bearers.

Metaphrastic:

Having the quality of a literary work that has been translated or changed from one form to another, as prose into verse.

Coruscate:
to give off or reflect light in bright beams or flashes : sparkle
to be brilliant or showy in technique or style
Amusingly enough, Google does not recognize metaphrastic as a word. 

No comments:

Post a Comment